OnFinality helps developers battle test their code on Westend before launching on Polkadot!
While OnFinality has been supporting Westend for over a year, it had not been announced until now. During this time, we have been providing an easy to use, reliable and scalable API endpoints for builders to deploy and run their dApps on Westend, as well as a one-click node solution for users to try out Polkadot’s governance, staking, nomination, and validation functionality on the testnet!
“As the largest infrastructure provider on Polkadot, we’re proud to be supporting Westend testnet for developers to battle-test their code before they deploy live on Polkadot or Kusama.”
— Daniel Vulinovich, Product Manager at OnFinality
What is Westend?
Westend is for all intents and purposes a testnet. It replaces Polkadot’s previous Alexander testnet.
Westend more accurately resembles how you interact with Kusama or Polkadot than Alexander did, allowing teams and developers to build and deploy a parachain or try out Polkadot’s governance, staking, nomination, and validation functionality on a testnet. Validators can test their deployments, especially in the active validator set. Exchanges and wallets can test their transaction submissions.
Everything you can do on Polkadot, you will be able to do on Westend.
Why use Westend instead of Kusama or Polkadot?
Essentially anything you would want to do on Polkadot or Kusama you can do on Westend without needing KSM or DOT to interact with the network.
This makes Westend a perfect testbed for validators to test their active validator set without fear of getting slashed or parachains to test anything before deploying on Polkadot or Kusama.
To interact with the Westend testnet you will need Westies (WND)
The tokens on this network are called Westies and they purposefully hold no economic value.
By connecting to Westend with OnFinality’s API endpoints, builders will be able to:
- Access the Westend network quickly in minutes without having to set up or manage infrastructure
- Enjoy global performance, automated scalability and high availability of up to 99.99% uptime per year!
- Gain valuable API Insights for you to spot issues on your apps and quickly implement rectifications for a bug-free user experience
We’re providing both public and private endpoints for Westend (Public endpoints will be heavily rate limited).
Simply sign up to app.onfinality.io to receive your free API key in minutes! Our ‘Free Plan’ comes with 500,000 daily responses for anyone to get started easily.
For teams looking to take your applications to the next level and ensure that you receive the best performance possible, we highly recommend using an API key. What are the benefits of getting an API key?
In addition, OnFinality also provides the ability for participants in the Westend ecosystem to rapidly deploy and manage nodes via any of our supported cloud providers such as Amazon Web Service (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Alibaba Cloud.
Benefits of deploying Westend nodes through OnFinality
- Easy — Deploy Dedicated Nodes easily and quickly via our on-demand node deployment service without worrying about setting up hardware from scratch
- Scalable — Upsize and downsize your nodes easily in a few clicks!
- Cost-efficient — Pay for only what you need. You no longer have to buy or set up your own hardware or make tools to monitor your node’s health and performance
- Visibility — Simply connect to our Node Metric Endpoint for automated monitoring and alerts on your node’s health
You can now log in to see Westend’s network spec in the OnFinality Marketplace.
Our mission is to support all blockchain teams in the world by providing critical infrastructure so they can focus on their core business. By leveraging OnFinality’s expertise in infrastructure, decentralised application (dApp) teams building on Westend can now focus on scaling for a global audience.
Westend Public API Endpoints
* Please note that these endpoints are rate limited and are not run to the same reliability standard as the endpoints that our API key customers benefit from.
- HTTPs: https://westend.api.onfinality.io/public
- Websocket: wss://westend.api.onfinality.io/public-ws
You may also reach us at email@example.com to discuss your requirements.
Build Smarter with OnFinality.
Westend is for all intents and purposes a testnet. It replaces Polkadot’s previous Alexander testnet. You don’t need KSM or DOT to interact with Westend, making it a perfect testbed for validators to test their active validator set without fear of getting slashed or parachains to test anything before deploying on Polkadot or Kusama. Essentially anything you would want to do on Polkadot or Kusama you can do on Westend without needing KSM or DOT to interact with the network.
OnFinality is a blockchain infrastructure platform that saves web3 builders time and makes their lives easier. OnFinality delivers scalable API endpoints for the biggest blockchain networks and empowers developers to automatically test, deploy, scale and monitor their own blockchain nodes in minutes. To date, OnFinality has served over hundreds of billions of RPC requests across 80 networks including Avalanche, BNB Chain, Cosmos, Polkadot, Ethereum, and Polygon, and is continuously expanding these mission-critical services so developers can build the decentralised future, faster!